The Lodge of the Golden Fleece > Leicester
The Lodge of the Golden Fleece meets at East Melbourne on the second Friday of February, March, May, July, September and November.
craftsman's art and music's measure
The Lodge of the Golden Fleece is number 300 on the register of Freemasons Victoria
bonds of friendship
Lodge of the Golden Fleece No. 2081, E.C. which meets at Freemason's Hall in Leicester presented three pewter candlesticks to The Lodge of the Golden Fleece No. 300, Melbourne as a token of the bonds of friendship between these two lodges.
The name "Leicester" is thought to derive from the words castra of the "Ligore", meaning a camp on the River Legro, an early name for the River Soar. Leicester appears in the Domesday Book as "Ledecestre". For many centuries Leicester has been one of the main centres of the wool trade.
The Guildhall near Leicester Cathedral dates from the fourteenth century. It reflects the wealth and power of merchants like Roger Wygston whose huge fortune came from the wool trade and textile production which was to be the foundation of Leicester's prosperity over the next centuries. Roger Wygston, a 15th century merchant, was the uncle of William Wyggeston, who was Mayor of Leicester and became Leicester's greatest benefactor from wealth gained through the wool trade.
The city's status was marked by impressive civic buildings like the Town Hall with its square and fountain and opulent private constructions. Leicester was one of the wealthiest cities in Europe during the 1930's. The boom years continued in the fifties and sixties, with workers being attracted from Commonwealth countries and the local economy was given a further boost with the arrival in the early 1970's of Asian families from East Africa. They brought industrial and commercial skills and the capital to set up new businesses.
Coat of Arms
The Corporation of Leicester's coat of arms was first granted to the city at the Heraldic Visitation of 1619, and is based on the arms of the first Earl of Leicester, Robert Beaumont. The field is a white cinquefoil on a red background. The supporting lions, from the Lancastrian Earls of Leicester, were granted in 1929.
The motto "Semper Eadem" was the motto of Queen Elizabeth I, who granted a royal charter to the city. It means "always the same" but with positive overtones meaning unchanging, reliable or dependable. The crest on top of the arms is a white or silver legless wyvern with red and white wounds showing, on a wreath of red and white. The legless wyvern distinguishes it as a Leicester wyvern as opposed to other wyverns. The supporting lions are wearing coronets in the form of collars, with the white cinquefoil hanging from them.
Golden Feece Pubs in Leicestershire
The Golden Fleece at South Croxton is situated in the idyllic Leicestershire Countryside. Once found, never forgotten, this country pub is full of chatter and excellent food, using the finest locally sourced produce. An extensive selection of wines, beers and spirits to suit everyone's taste is offered at 77 Main Street, South Croxton, Leicestershire, LE7 3RL Reservations & Enquiries: 01664 840 275
Golden Fleece at Upper Broughton serves a wide range of food from bar snacks up. Fish is a speciality - Friday & Saturday night. Traditional Sunday roasts served. Main Road Upper Broughton Leicestershire LE14 3BG telephone: 01664 822262
Golden Fleece 22 Leicester Street Melton Mowbray Leicestershire LE13 0PP Tel: 01664 562844
Copyright © 2001-2009 The Fleece. All rights reserved.