Golden Fleece > Order of the Garter
craftsman's art and music's measure
Order of the Garter
Edward III created the Order of the Garter in 1348.
In 1948, to celebrate the 600th anniversary of the founding of the Order, King George VI reinstated the procession of the Knights of the Order through the Windsor Castle to a service in St George’s Chapel.
HRH Prince William of Wales was invested as the 1000th Knight of the Order in 2008, the 60th anniversary of Princess Elizabeth and The Duke of Edinburgh being installed as members of the Order of the Garter in St George’s Chapel.
St George’s Chapel is the spiritual home of the Order of the Garter
The Chapel and its community are maintained by the College of St George, an ancient fellowship of religious and lay people dating from medieval times.
friends and descendants join a distinguished list of benefactors preserving this glorious place of worship and cultural heritage for future generations.
Copyright © 2001-2009 The Fleece. All rights reserved.